Monday, October 1, 2012

Delivery

Well, I have neglected my blog for long enough...lol! Since the last time I posted my life has completely changed AND I LOVE IT!

So in case anyone doesn't know I ended up having Blythe 5 days late. My due date was Sept 4th and on the 6th my doctor decided I would be induced on the following Tuesday (the 11th) however on Sunday night at exactly 7pm she made her appearance. I won't say it was the easiest thing ever but it was definitely worth it.

Sunday morning at 6:00 my water broke. It was not at all like in the movies. There wasn't a huge gush of fluid and then lots of running around. In fact, I wasn't even 100% sure my water broke. I actually got back in bed, without waking up Jared and was going to try to get some more sleep. At around 6:30 I finally decided that maybe I should just call and ask my doctor and see what she said. I called the hospital and they said to come in just to make sure. I woke up Jared and said we needed to go to the hospital to see if my water broke and he jumped up in a panic. I assured him that we weren't having a baby today (man was I wrong!) and I casually packed a bag of clothes in case they didn't keep me. This way I would be able to shower at a family member's house and we could just stay in B'ham for the day in case something happened. We left the house around 7:30 (a full hour and a half after my initial water breaking ha!). We drove to the hospital and on the way there I started having contractions, but nothing major...in fact, I had felt these types of contractions before (including all night). We get to the hospital, they check, and sure enough the doctor says "well, it looks like you will be having a baby today". We knew it wouldn't be a quick process so we held off on calling friends and family so they wouldn't be waiting all day.

They put me on a pitocin drip just to help things along and our excitement got the best of us, we made some phone calls assuring people that it wouldn't be anytime soon. It was at this point I wish I had showered in that hour and a half we wasted so I could feel somewhat presentable. Well, of course since I was admitted they no longer allowed me to eat or drink anything and I also regretted not stopping for breakfast because I was starving! lol!

Family members came in to visit and as the day progress my contractions got worse. I refused the epidural until I had reached 6cm and my contractions were very close together. I didn't want to get it early. I wouldn't have gotten it at 6cm if the nurse hadn't of insisted I go ahead and get it...wow, she is a smart lady! That pain was gone and I wondered why I had even waited.

It seemed that I was destined to have a rough delivery (which I had expected since my pregnancy had been a breeze). It all began with the epidural. He came in to do a procedure that should have been simple and unfortunately when he stuck me he hit a blood vessel. I had an immediate shooting pain down my right leg and it shot up in the air like it would if the doctor had tapped on it to check my reflexes. This scared the crap out of me and I freaked out. The whole right side of my body went numb and I got scared so of course I cried...man, hormones are a crazy thing! I had been chewing gum to help through my contractions and my hair went in my mouth and gum got stuck in it. That's when the anesthesiologist said "sorry, it didn't go in like it was supposed to, we will have to do it again, but first...I have something in my eye"

The epidural took, finally, and I just waited until time to deliver. Well, apparently my tailbone and Blythe's head made interaction and she wouldn't move. The doctor suggested they use the suction thing (not sure the technical terms) because at this point I had been pushing for almost 2 1/2 hours. I declined and said I would continue trying on my own, but after a little convincing from Jared I decided to go for it. Man, that was amazing. She was out in 2 seconds flat! Glad I let Jared talk me into it. It was then that the doctor noticed a problem. I wouldn't stop bleeding. Not like the normal bleeding but like I was internally bleeding. He said what normally takes about 10 minutes to stitch up took him about an hour. They went through 40 sponges (I know this because they had to count them afterwards). They finally go to hand me Blythe and I said "not yet, I don't feel right" and then I passed out. Could have been from loss of blood, low blood sugar, or low blood pressure (because it plummeted) I'm not sure. So they tilted me back and put another bag of fluid in me. Finally, I got to hold my baby girl. It was a very emotional time.

I ended up passing out again in the middle of the night when my nighttime nurse had me walk for the first time. And I was extremely sore for the first couple of days (I refuse to take pain meds). BUT IT WAS ALL WORTH IT.

These last 3 weeks have been amazing. I have seen her smile, roll over, and just overall be amazing! I catch myself staring at her. I have had tons of people tell me she is the most alert baby ever and I believe it. She barely naps during the day, but so far (fingers crossed) her nighttime sleep has been good. She sleeps about 3-4 hours in between feedings, we are up to 4 oz now, and she sleeps in the cradle.

Each day she seems to change and as sad as that makes me...it makes me even more excited to see what milestone she will reach next. So to all of you moms out there...I now understand and my life just got soooo much better!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment